The PaperBoats has worked in close partnership with Country Arts SA over the past four years to develop models of regional engagement that are slow-brewing, deep and enduring. These programs have had a very significant impact on the delivery of arts activity to children across regional SA.
There have been two main thrusts to our strategy:
- A 4-year “Deep Dive” program of targeted engagement with the early childhood community in Mount Gambier through the delivery of performances, workshops and arts activity to over 1,000 children annually.
- A “Regional Reach” program of arts engagement through the delivery of free performances by The PaperBoats to 3-12 year old children in small communities that regularly miss out on opportunities that larger communities take for granted – with three tours to over 3,000 children in mid-north and limestone coast communities in 2020-21.
Touring Summary 2019-2021
- Three seasons of new performances at the Sir Robert Helpmann Theatre (2019, 2021, 2022)
- Three Small Communities Regional Tours to the Mid-North and the Limestone Coast. (2020-21)
- One six month deep incursion to Claire, Millicent, Naracoorte, Robe and Rendalsham (2020, The Chrysalis Box)
- Over 7,000 regional children engaged in high quality arts performances and activity.
- New work, Seven Little Wonders, was created exclusively with Mt Gambier artists.
- A hard-won culture of support developed with the Mt Gambier community and a host of small regional communities across the state.
|The PaperBoats – Small Communities Regional Tours 2022|
|Especially on Birthdays||SE Limesotne Coast Small Communities
|5-10 June, 2022|
|Especially on Birthdays||Lower Eyre Peninsula Small Communities
James and Dianna Ramsay Foundation + CASA
|1 -6 August, 2022|
|Especially on Birthdays||Murray-Malee Small Communities
Thyne Reid Foundation + CASA
|10-18 November, 2022|
South East Small Communities Tour – A week long tour of 10 free performances of Especially on Birthdays to SE Communities in and around Padthaway, Naracoorte, Francis, Penola, Lucindale, Millicent, Rendelsham, Robe and Kingston has been funded by ArtsSA with money re-purposed from COVID cancelled China tour.
Lower Eyre Peninsula Small Communities Tour – The PaperBoats with generous support from the James and Dianna Ramsay Foundation and Country Arts SA will present a week long season of 9 free performances Especially on Birthdays to communities in and around Pt Lincoln, Cummins and Coffin Bay.
Murray Mallee Small Communities Tour – The PaperBoats with generous support from Thyne Reid Foundation and Country Arts SA will present a 7 day season of 14 free performances of Especially on Birtrhdays to communities in and around Murray Bridge, Lameroo, Loxton, Glossop, Barmera, Berri and Waikerie.
Cast and crew were highly professional and exuded warmth and pride for their show. I will definitely be booking them for next year!
Lyndsey Martin, Principal ~ Gumeracha PS
|Session||School / Kindergarten||Students||Teachers||Total|
|Monday 6 June at 10.00am||Naracoorte Primary School||115||6||121|
|Monday 6 June at 2.00pm||Naracoorte South Primary School||128||5||133|
|Tuesday 7 June at 10.00am||Michelle DeGaris Kindergarten||40||6||46|
|(Naracoorte)||Naracoorte North Kindergarten||33||6||39|
|Padthaway Primary School||11||2||13|
|Tuesday 7 June at 2.00pm||Lucindale Area School||0||0||100|
|Wednesday 8 June at 10.00am||Apsley Primary School||28||4||32|
|(Apsley)||Frances Primary School||17||3||20|
|Goroke Area School||28||4||32|
|Wednesday 8 June at 2.00pm||Penola Primary School||0||0||0|
|(Penola)||Mary MacKillop Memorial School||0||0||81|
|McKay Children’s Centre||0||0||28|
|Thursday 9 June at 10.00am||St Anthony’s Catholic School||0||0||0|
|(Robe Hall)||Robe Soldiers Memorial Kindergarten||6||3||9|
|Robe Primary School||87||5||92|
|McArthur Park Kindergarten||20||4||0|
|Thursday 9 June at 2.00pm||Rendelsham Kindergarten||20||5||25|
|(Millicent North PS Gym)||St Anthony’s Catholic School||0||0||0|
|Millicent North Kindergarten||30||6||36|
|Millicent North Primary School||0||0||70?|
|Friday 10 June at 10.00am||Newbery Park Primary School OR||0||0||0|
|(Millicent North PS Gym)||Millicent North Primary School||0||0||130?|
|Friday 10 June at 2.00pm||Kingston Community School||0||0||125|
|(Kingston School Gym)|
|Total Attendance all sessions||1,162|
Testimonials for When the Mirror Builds Sing, which toured to small communities and theatres across 2019 -2021
The PaperBoats Partnership Platform has been assisted by the South Australian Government through ArtsSA and Country Arts SA and the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory group.
We are deeply grateful to the James and Diana Ramsay Foundation for their generous support of our Lower Eyre Peninsula Small Communities tour and to the Thyne Reid Foundation for their generous support of the Murray-Mallee Small communities tour.
The PaperBoats is very appreciative of the many artists, advisors, educators, carers and partnership organisations who have offered their support and insights during the development and trialing of this work.
BOOKINGS and ENQUIRIES
PHONE: Robyn Brown on 0411 779 402